Spooky Spicy Pumpkin Seed Soup
It's spooky season, and we have the perfect warming soup to serve your own little monsters this Halloween. Hearty and healthy and topped with spicy pumpkin seeds for a little kick, this is one recipe even the ghosts and ghouls will be coming back for.
For the soup:
- 1 small pumpkin, around 3 lb. (or 1.5kg) peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbs. Nutriseed Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- Nutriseed Himalayan Rock Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ ground coriander
- 4 cups vegetable broth
For the spicy pumpkin seeds:
- ½ cup Nutriseed Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. Nutriseed Himalayan Rock Salt
- ¼ cayenne pepper
- ¼ ground cumin
- Pinch of Nutriseed Ground Cinnamon
- Preheat an oven to 200°C, and then line a tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, stir together the chopped pumpkin and Nutriseed Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread the pumpkin on the prepared baking sheet and roast until soft and caramelised, for 30 to 35 minutes.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth and pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Once blended, return the soup to the pot and season with Nutriseed Himalayan Rock Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, make the spicy pumpkin seeds. Firstly, reduce the oven temperature to around 180°C and then line a tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, stir together the Nutriseed Pumpkin Seeds and canola oil. In another bowl, stir together the Himalayan Rock Salt, cayenne, cumin and Ground Cinnamon. Add the Pumpkin Seeds to the spice mixture and stir to coat. Spread the seeds in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake, stirring once, until golden brown, for around 10 to 12 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnish with the pumpkin seeds and serve immediately. Serves 6.