Nutriseed Loves The Banting Diet...
There has been lots of talk lately of the Banting Diet. At Nutriseed, we are indeed fans – and so here is the low-down, as well as the products in our range that we’d recommend using in order to become a fully fledged Banter.
Did You Know?
So, what is Banting? Banting is a low-carbohydrate, but high-fat (also known as LCHF) diet that was coined by William Banting, who was the first person to popularise it in the late 1700’s. Today it is more popular than ever before, partly due to Professor Tim Noake’s bestselling book, The Real Meal Revolution.
Put simply, the Banting Diet limits carbs so that your body switches from burning them for energy, and into burning fat instead. Any foods that have a greater carb content of 5g per 100g should be avoided, and all sugary food should be avoided entirely.
If you do this to its fullest extent, you will achieve ketosis… Nope this is not a disease, more like the Banter’s Nirvana! This is when the body is starved of carbs so much that it burns fat for energy, and in turn creates ketones in the body. (You can alternatively, enjoy raspberry ketone’s of course and can find out more about this here).
The Real Meal Revolution puts forward 3 lists of foods, green (an ‘all-you-can-eat list) with carb content of under 5g per 100g, orange which contains foods with ingredients containing between 6g and 25g of carbs per 100g, and the red list, which as you can imagine is the list of no-no’s. (It is recommended to avoid all items on the red list or eat them very occasionally, and restrict the amount when you do eat them). See below for a quick rundown of the lists (and click the titles to view them in their entirety).
- Animal protein (eggs, meats, poultry, seafood)
- Nuts and seeds
- Dairy (cream cottage, cheese, full-cream milk)
- Vegetables (all green leafy vegetables, any vegetable above the ground)
- Sweeteners (stevia powder, xylitol, erythritol)
- Nuts (cashews and chestnuts)
- Vegetables (butternut, carrots, sweet potatoes)
- All processed food
- All food with added sugar (glucose, dextrose)
- Baked goods
- Fruit juices of any kind
- Beer, cider and fizzy drinks (including any diet, lite or zero)
- Seed oils
- Sweeteners (agave, artificial sweeters, cordials, sweets and syrups)
Up for some Banting? Click Here to check out the Nutriseed Banting Store (all in the green list )