Scrumptious Butternut Squash & Apple Soup Recipe
The butternut squash; the nutritious workhorse of winter warmer recipes, and the ideal base for a hearty soup. This recipe combines the naturally sweet tartness of green apple with butternut squash and rustic vegetables to provide a warming bliss of nutrients.
This recipe takes around 45mins to make, and provides enough thick, autumnal soup for around 4-6 people.
Quick hint: butternut squash can be a bit of a pain to chop raw. If you can, buy it chopped, its readily available in most supermarkets this way and will save you a little hassle.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped, seeds discarded
- 1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Nutriseed Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of Nutriseed Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of Nutriseed Himalayan Rock Salt
- Pinch of Nutriseed Turmeric Powder
- Crack of black pepper
- Chopped parsley or chives (to garnish)
- Soured cream (optional)
- On medium-high heat, heat up a large saucepan or stewing pot, and melt in the Nutriseed Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Add in the chopped carrot, onion and celery and sauté. If they begin to brown, turn down the heat slightly.
- Add in the chopped butternut squash, apple, vegetable broth and water bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to simmer, cover, and leave for around 30mins. Before proceeding ensure that the butternut squash and carrots have softened.
- Add into a blender or food processor (or use a hand-blender in the same pot), and pulse until smooth and creamy. Add in the various spices to taste.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chives, and swirl in some sour cream and serve.